Vodafone (and others) missing the point (11 Oct 2013)

Discussions relating to the daily sci/tech commentary

Re: Vodafone (and others) missing the point (11 Oct 2013)

Postby Geoffm » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:56 pm

I would settle for being able to get ADSL. Despite being 6km from the exchange, and 45km from the skytower, we can have either satellite, dialup or Wimax - all expensive and unreliable with the weather. This is because our wires are very old, and loop around the hills at the back before our road, so it is more like 20km++ to the exchange as the wire lies.
We are not a priority for Telecom to lay new cable to our area. It makes it hard to run a business from here.
Geoff
Geoffm

Postby admin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 am

Yes, what we need (perhaps even more than UFB) is a ubiquitous wireless broadband service so that *everyone* can at least get better than dial-up speeds at an affordable price.

I'm *occasionally* using cellular-based broadband at the workshop but it's silly-expensive!
admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:02 am

admin wrote:Yes, what we need (perhaps even more than UFB) is a ubiquitous wireless broadband service so that *everyone* can at least get better than dial-up speeds at an affordable price.

I'm *occasionally* using cellular-based broadband at the workshop but it's silly-expensive!

Isn't that the basic gist of the RBI? The quieter lonely country cousin to the UFB rollout. I think they only offer speeds up to 5mbit. Obviously it will strongly depend on tower location, range etc what speeds people will actually achieve.
Malcolm

Postby ukoda » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:49 am

I am very surprised to read that copper is removed when fiber is install. I like back ups so it seems crazy, but I guess it's all about money, not reliability or choice.

I have enjoyed unlimited data on a fiber connection with a static IP address for the last couple of years in China, it would be heaven if it wasn't for the government breaking everything in their pointless censorship attempts. I also have a 10MB/s copper backup. Now I'm looking at setting up home in Wellington in January next year when my wife starts studies at Victoria Uni. I guess I will have to get reacquainted the ISP market in NZ. Is there a page that compares the different NZ offerings somewhere that is kept up to date? Since it will only be for a year or two we will rent but not sure in which part of the Wellington region, maybe the Hutt Valley, so what Internet options are available on any potential rental is likely to be an issue.
ukoda

Postby virtualkiwi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:57 am

Yes, the speed and handling are very impressive -- but if you try to use all that power and performance for more than a few minutes, you'll find yourself either parked on the side of the road motionless -- or paying a fortune to have the tiny tank topped up at very regular intervals.

Reminds me of an aircraft engineer pointing to a Skyhawk engine I think it was and saying, it would drain your car's fuel tank in something I can't quite remember if it was a bit under or a bit over a minute.

I remember back ages ago Ihug offered a distinction between international and national traffic on their broadband plans, with unlimited national traffic. Some hosting providers do that currently.

With local caching of popular content, it should be possible to offer decent data caps even if they are split between national and international.
I run a transparent proxy box at home with a dedicated cache for software updates, so if I have multiple PCs requiring software updates, they only get downloaded once.
If I can manage that at home, I don't know why ISPs can't do something to cache the most popular content and offer decent caps.
virtualkiwi

Postby hellonearthis » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:15 pm

You signed up for Snap UFB, they are providing service even in Tokoroa these days and have free data between 1am and 7am.
And for $5 you get unlimited Youtube too.
hellonearthis

Postby Perry » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:44 pm

If things are to get royally screwed - involve the gummint,
with all the trade-offs and 'deals' involved. There are just
too many competing, conflicting interests for any sort of
sanity or logic to prevail in this
Uber Foolish Bungle.
Perry

Postby admin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:28 pm

hellonearthis wrote:You signed up for Snap UFB, they are providing service even in Tokoroa these days and have free data between 1am and 7am.
And for $5 you get unlimited Youtube too.

Yep... saw that and am thinking about it.

Unfortunately, their website delivers bugger-all info on things such as the termination hardware and its capabilities.
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column