TV relay?

If you want to start your own discussion topic, do it here.

TV relay?

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:03 am

A couple of friends live in a south-facing valley that has no TV reception (terrestrial or satellite) and too low a population to justify the Powers-that-Be installing a relay. However, what if someone hooked up a couple of TV antennae with an amplifier connecting them, added a solar panel and bolted the rig to a tree conveniently located higher up the hill where there is line-of-sight to the local TV station?
I'm fairly sure it would be illegal in NZ (anything even hinting of initiative is verboten) but if the milli-wattages are kept below the radar of said P-t-B, how long do you think they would get away with it? Especially if a bogus "Security Services" or such plate was affixed to the box creating the illusion of officialdom.
~Kiwiiano

"I want either less corruption or more chance to participate in it!"
Kiwiiano

Re: TV relay?

Postby admin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 am

There used to be "free" licensing available for very low-power TV repeaters way back in the day when it was the only way for many valley communities to get a signal.

Problem today is that we're going "digital" so it's not as simple as it used to be to cobble together such a device and -- because of all the channels on offer, it gets even harder.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am

admin wrote:There used to be "free" licensing available for very low-power TV repeaters way back in the day when it was the only way for many valley communities to get a signal.

Problem today is that we're going "digital" so it's not as simple as it used to be to cobble together such a device and -- because of all the channels on offer, it gets even harder.

Rats! I take it the signal arriving at my terrestrial UHF antenna is now a bundle of digital streams that can't be amplified en-mass the way the old analogue signals could. How do masthead amplifiers handle the info nowadays? Or is the problem feeding the stream back to another antenna to beam it across the valley?
~Kiwiiano

Kiwiiano

Postby admin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Well you could try making a hetrodyne converter but you'd likely need one at each and -- and a piece of free spectrum to "shift" the channels to for the journey. It'd be a fun project for someone who had the time and inclination.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:42 pm

admin wrote:Well you could try making a hetrodyne converter but you'd likely need one at each and -- and a piece of free spectrum to "shift" the channels to for the journey. It'd be a fun project for someone who had the time and inclination.

Hmmm....may be easier to install a large advertising hoarding up on the hill, angled to bounce a signal down into the valley. I recall a friend back in the day whose TV antenna sat on the ceiling joists under the tile roof. He couldn't figure out why his signal deteriorated to unwatchable every winter evening, only to return by mid afternoon. Until a mission up under and on the roof with a compass revealed his antenna to be pointing at the Christchurch gasworks, not the TV station. He got a useable reflected signal off the gasometers until they sank below the horizon on cold nights.
~Kiwiiano

Kiwiiano

Postby admin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:12 am

Yes, passive reflectors can work -- but generally speaking they have to be pretty damned big (due to the inverse square law).
admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:55 am

They could run a dual line Kiwi. Have done that up in the mountains before.

Set an antenna up where the signal is good and then a double transmission line down into the valley. Use a splitter for the various TV's connected to it.

A dual line is simply two copper wires equal distance apart the whole way down and shorted at each end. It is tuned by adjusting the in/out connections at each end (moving them closer or further from the short) to get the best reception. Works with digi as well.
Gone Insane -- back soon!
Screw

Return to Readers' discussions